Simplyhealth increases target after raising £30,000 for Heart Research UK in just four weeks
Simplyhealth has agreed to substantially increase the target for its donation to Heart Research UK to £150,000 after raising £30,000 through its Facebook page in just four weeks.
Clare Lee, Head of Brand at Simplyhealth says: "It's great that people have raised £30,000 for Heart Research UK through our Facebook page. The response has been fantastic, and we we've been listening to the many comments that people have made about their own experiences of dental health and heart disease.
"We feel that there is more we can do to support Heart Research UK which is why we're increasing the target for the donation to £150,000. This is a huge step, but the suggested link between dental health and heart health needs further research. With this money a research project that helps us all understand more about how our dental health can affect our heart could become a reality. We're also going to transfer all of the 'Likes' we had on Facebook before this campaign to give this next stage a kick start."
Simplyhealth's television advert, which launched on 17 September, prompts viewers to go to the Simplyhealth UK Facebook page and click 'Like'. By doing so, they can read highlights of research from medical institutes, read free health guides on dental health and heart health, and watch videos with experts. Simplyhealth has donated £1 to Heart Research UK for every 'Like' it has received so far.
Heart Research UK has been funding medical research into the prevention, treatment and cure of heart disease for 45 years. It also encourages healthy heart lifestyles and wants communities to have happier, healthier and longer lives.
Barbara Harpham, Director at Heart Research UK says: "I am overwhelmed by the response and looking at the comments on Facebook, you can see that people of all ages are really behind this campaign. The link is not well known so it has made people think about how important it is to brush well and look after their heart. Thank you to everyone who has given Heart Research UK and Simplyhealth the encouragement and support to go ahead with this important research."
Simplyhealth and Heart Research UK will be working together to develop an award process for researchers who feel they have a relevant research project in mind. All submissions will undergo a strict peer review by UK experts and those around the world. The process for the project will adhere to all guidelines set out by the Association of Medical Research Charities.
Simplyhealth has been helping people access affordable healthcare for 140 years. It provides health cash plans, dental plans and private health insurance to individuals, families and businesses.
Simplyhealth Independent Living provides mobility products and daily living aids.
You can find out more about Simplyhealth at www.simplyhealth.co.uk. Its Facebook page can be found at www.facebook.com/SimplyhealthUK. You can find out more about Heart Research UK at www.heartresearch.org.uk
Notes to Editor
- The idea of a possible link between dental health and cardiovascular disease has been researched for many years. Many studies have focused on the role that inflammation and bacteria from serious gum disease have on the arteries
- Research shows an association between gum disease and cardiovascular disease, independent of their shared risk factors, although further research is needed to prove a direct cause
- We became Simplyhealth in 2009 after bringing together HSA, BCWA, LHF, HealthSure, Totally Active, our family of health companies have joined together over the last ten years to form Simplyhealth
- In December 2011, we acquired Denplan Limited, the UK's leading dental payment plan specialist
We've been providing healthcare solutions for 140 years, dedicated to serving our customers and patients through a variety of cash plans, dental plans, private medical insurance, self funded health plans and mobility and living aids
Simplyhealth is a trading name of Simplyhealth Access, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
- Simplyhealth as it stands today, now covers nearly four million people with health plans (more than any other company) and helps 20,000 companies with their employees' health
Simplyhealth is committed to making a positive impact on its communities. Each year, we donate over £1 million to health related charities and causes
About Heart Research UK
- Heart Research UK is a visionary charity that has been funding ground-breaking and innovative medical research projects for 45 years since being founded by heart surgeon David Watson
- There is a strong emphasis on supporting clinical and surgical projects and young researchers on their first steps into research. The charity currently supports over £4.1m of research projects at 23 hospitals and universities across the UK, funding over £1,060,000 last year alone
- The charity also encourages and funds original healthy lifestyle initiatives that explore novel ways of preventing heart disease
- Over £1.2m has been awarded over the last 11 years to community based lifestyle projects that aim to prevent or reduce the risks of heart disease
Registered Charity No.1044821