Simplyhealth sponsors Mouth Cancer Action Month
This November, healthcare provider Simplyhealth is sponsoring Mouth Cancer Action Month, an annual campaign organised by the British Dental Health Foundation. The month seeks to raise awareness of mouth cancer, its symptoms and the potential risks of contracting the disease.
Caroline Newton, Simplyhealth spokesperson says: "We are proud to be sponsoring this campaign alongside our colleagues at Denplan. Mouth cancer cases have risen over the last decade by almost 50%, which is a worrying trend(i). Promoting awareness of mouth cancer is incredibly important, especially when you consider how recent research found that 70% of adults are unaware of any of the symptoms(ii).
"This year's strapline is 'If in doubt, get checked out'. We want to highlight the key risks of mouth cancer, inform individuals of the symptoms and encourage them, should they have any concerns, to speak to their dentist as soon as possible".
Signs and symptoms of mouth cancer include(iii):
- Ulcers which do not heal within three weeks
- Red and white patches in the mouth
- Unusual lumps or swellings in the mouth
Although not all cases of mouth cancer can be prevented there are several lifestyle factors that have been identified as risks. These are(iv):
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV virus)
The campaign aims to get dentists and patients to engage with the topic of mouth cancer and to raise awareness to aid early detection, a practice that can transform five year survival rates.
For more information on the campaign please visit www.mouthcancer.org
(ii) Simplyhealth Annual Dental Survey 2012
(iii) + (vi) www.mouthcancer.org
Notes to editors
- We became Simplyhealth in 2009 after bringing together HSA, BCWA, LHF, HealthSure, Totally Active, our family of health companies have joined together over the last ten years to form Simplyhealth
- We've been providing healthcare solutions for 140 years, dedicated to serving our customers and patients through a variety of cash plans, dental plans, private medical insurance, self funded health plans and mobility and living aids
- Simplyhealth is a trading name of Simplyhealth Access, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority Simplyhealth as it stands today, now covers nearly four million people with health plans (more than any other company) and helps 20,000 companies with their employees' health
- Simplyhealth is committed to making a positive impact on its communities. Each year, we donate over £1 million to health related charities and causes
The information contained in these articles is intended to be for general interest, and should not be relied upon for specific conditions or complaints. You should always consult your GP or other healthcare practitioner for specific advice. The information provided is not the opinion of Simplyhealth and has been sourced through a third party.